Welcome to the Friday Focus. Our weekly newsletter will be posted here. It will include the Administrator's message, important updates, and fun things happening around our school.
- Jan 27 - 700-830 pm - RMS Decades Social
- Jan 31 - 5:30 pm - Hanover High School Curriculum Night - HHS auditorium
- Feb. 1 - 600 pm - Family Round Table - Middle School Learning - How does it work? - Register
- Feb 7 and 9 - Musical Auditions after school
- Feb 9 - 730 - 900 am - Parent/Admin Coffee
- Feb 9 - Bake Sale to benefit SAGE identified charities
- Feb 20 - 24 - Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
Thoughts from the front office
Dear RMS Family:
Tonight we have our “Decades Social” from 7-8:30, tickets available at the door. Our snowbanks make visibility in parking lots and circles even more difficult than normal, so please drive carefully and remember that middle school students sometimes get distracted and do not pay the closest attention.
Thank you to all the folks who have braved the pick up and drop off lines recently, the snow makes that more difficult also. Please remember to pull as far forward in the cut outs as possible - this eliminates confusion over the spaces.
Our calendar over the next week remains full (sometimes with rescheduled events).
- Tuesday, January 31st - 5:30 pm - Hanover High School Curriculum night in the HHS auditorium. HHS departments will offer information about course offerings (more limited for 9th graders than subsequent years) and sequence of study. RMS will begin specific discussions about individual plans with students in the coming weeks. We always receive a number of questions about the math curriculum at the HS, and would like to provide the most up to date information.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1st, at 6 pm in the RMS library we will hold our first parent round table of 2023. This will be a time and place for parents (and some RMS adults) to gather and discuss the specifics of middle school learning and steps adults can take to help students grow as learners. Together we will touch on topics of learning style and executive functioning (why do middle school students lose so much stuff, for example), and continue to build a community of adults who work with students to make learning more effective. Everyone is welcome. If you think you might like to join us, please fill out the following “registration form.”
- February 7th and 9th - Musical Auditions - RMS Theatre Department will be holding auditions for our spring musical, James and the Giant Peach on February 7th and 9th! Interested students should see Mrs. Emmerton or Ms. Hadden for more information or to get an audition form. You can also learn more at the RMS Theatre website and click on “Spring Play Audition Info.”
- Thank you to the PTO once again for compiling photos of items currently in our Lost and Found Links. Please see the items in the below link. We hope to dramatically decrease this number by Winter break. - https://photos.app.goo.gl/gzad5V2ym6f1iuja7
Finally, thank you for the support and understanding as we work through our most disruptive winter season in recent memory. We will continue to shift lessons to fit new schedules and work to adapt to the changes thrown our way. Middle school is a time of change and we hope that we can model adeptly changing for our students. While RMS does not have any input in snow decisions, we appreciate everyone’s dedication to taking care of each other by trying to keep everyone safe.
We are hoping for a full week next week, and looking forward to a great Q3. Please enjoy our wintry weekend - stay well, be safe, and take care of each other.
School News & Information
If you have any questions, concerns, or dietary restrictions please contact Austin Jacobs.
RMS does offer a lunch program for families who may need assistance or special needs. Please contact Robin Morley-Ploof in the office for more information.
Opportunities at the Hood
Happy New Year! The Hood Museum of Art is looking forward to seeing you and your students in the galleries this year! Attached Please view the poster describing the Hood Museum of Art’s upcoming exhibitions and offerings for professional development this winter and spring.
Student Council Updates
Tonight is our "Winter Social". 7:00-8:30 pm. $5 admission. Drinks and Snacks will be for sale. Please make sure that you have arranged a place to meet after the event. Remember that you must be present in school to attend the dance.
Friday February 3 is our after school trampoline park trip (Skyzone in Manchester). Leaving RMS at 3:45 and returning at 8:30. This trip is limited to 45 students and will cost $25 (bus and admission to the park). All participants will also be required to sign a park waiver and permission slip for the bus ride. Sign ups and money collection will continue on Monday and Tuesday until all slots are filled.
We have a number of events scheduled for the week before the Super Bowl including our annual commercial contest. Commercials should be 90 seconds or less for a real or made up product. Must be completed and submitted by Feb 8th.
Please take a minute to log any volunteer hours you have contributed to RMS this semester. Assisting with classroom activities, chaperoning Socials, baking treats for teacher appreciation, PTO activities...the list goes on - and we want to know! Thank you for volunteering your time - we appreciate it!
Dartmouth Athletics is excited to host its seventh annual National Girls & Women in Sports Day clinic on Saturday, February 4, 2023 from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. (Registration/check-in beginning at 1 p.m.) in Leverone Field House.
The clinic is open to students who compete on girls teams in grades K-8 and provides participants with the opportunity to spend time learning skills in a variety of sports, with instruction from Dartmouth student-athletes.
Admission is FREE and includes:
- One (1) complimentary ticket to the Dartmouth vs. Princeton women's hockey game at 3 p.m. following the clinic plus a post-game autograph session with the Dartmouth women's hockey team
- One (1) complimentary ticket to the Dartmouth women's basketball game on Saturday, February 18 at 4 p.m.
- One (1) limited edition Big Green water bottle
Drills/Stations to be led by the following Dartmouth Big Green Teams: Football, Women's & Men's Soccer, Women's Rugby, Volleyball, Field Hockey, Women's Golf, Sailing.
To register your child(ren) for the clinic, Learn More!
Interested in playing soccer this spring?
Middle school and High School teams forming at River’s Edge. Affordable and fun. Flyer available.
Video Resources from All Together The Hartford Community Coalition in collaboration with All Together, has created a video resource for parents around the issue of substance use.
Please see other announcements on the community interest page of the website.
Family Programs offered by Outright Vermont
Outright Vermont (https://www.outrightvt.org/) is an organization that supports LGBTQ+ youth and families around Vermont and neighboring areas. They offer a support group for families: Trans Parent Group - Online - First Monday of every month 6-8pm. Support group for parents and caregivers of trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive youth. Email email@example.com for more information and links.
RMS Health Office Updates
Prescription Medications Does your child need to take prescription medication during school hours? Students must keep all prescription medications in the health office and have a signed medication form as well. The medication form and additional information can be found here: Health Office Website
PTO Bulletin Board
There is so much stuff in the Lost & Found! Please take a moment to look over these photos. You might find things you didn't even know were missing. https://photos.app.goo.gl/
After a multi-year pandemic delay, the PTO is finally able to begin student and parent socials. If you'd like to be part of the committee working on the socials, please email the PTO at richmondmiddleschoolpto@gmail.
Would you consider becoming part of PTO leadership for the remainder of this school year and/or next year? You don't need previous experience working with the PTO. If you'd like to learn more, please reach out to richmondmiddleschoolpto@gmail.