May 10 - Tentative 8th grade balloon launch
May 10 - Mitigating Risk Through Community (information below)
May 19-21 - Peter and the Starcatcher - RMS Spring Play
May 26 - RMS Choral Concert
May 30 - Memorial Day - No School
May 31 - HHS Step Up Day for 8th grade.
May 31 - Level 2, 3, and Jazz Band Concert (date change)
June 2 - RMS Band 1 and Orchestra Concert
June 16 - Last Day for Students
Thoughts from the Front Office
Welcome to the last lunar cycle of the 2021-2022 school year! We have 28 days left in this remarkable year. Thank you to everyone for all the work that has gone in to get us this far. Today’s focus will be more on the informational side, as there is a lot of it out there.
- The Dresden School Board, in conjunction with the staff at the Frances C. Richmond Middle School, would like feedback from our families so that we can celebrate our successes and identify opportunities for improvement. Please complete one survey for EACH of your students who have attended RMS this year. The results will be completely anonymous unless you provide contact information in our final question. We will use the results of this survey to guide our plans for the 2022-2023 school year. Here is the survey.
- Earlier this year our 7th graders studied many aspects of US history in the early 19th century, including the forced removal of native peoples from their traditional homelands. As a part of that unit students created land acknowledgements. 5 students, Nelson Barabas, Matt Della Croce, Luke Harreld, Rohan Novasad, and Ella Tesone took it upon themselves to work during lunch times with their teachers to create a land acknowledgement for RMS. The debut of their work. We applaud the work of our students and staff, and look forward to expanding the presence of our statement.
- It has come to our attention that there are two community events upcoming that involve RMS students. One on Friday, May 13th (at the HS), and one on June 3rd (offered through HPR). While we are excited for opportunities within the community, we will not be able to provide information about the events because we are not the organizers.
- On Saturday, May 14, there will an open house of sorts at Dartmouth (in the new Engineering & Computer Science Center), where there will be lots of interactive labs, makerspace, Formula Hybrid demos, and lots of engineering/computer science activities for students of all ages. Montshire Museum will also be there. The open house/interactive stuff starts at 10:30 on... and there will be food trucks, etc. It's all part of the Dartmouth Innovation & Technology Festival (May 12-14), to celebrate the opening of the new buildings on the West End of campus. Here's the link: https://ctl.dartmouth.edu/innovation-technology-festival
- A sincere thank you to members of the PTO and our student council for a wonderful teacher appreciation week. The community reaching out to all the adults in the building with tokens of appreciation shows how important we all are in our quest to build a community of learners who take care of each other. Thank you. We certainly appreciate everyone who helps our students grow, learn, and belong.
- Thank you to everyone who is staying vigilant about illness and working to keep students home who are feeling sick. We have noticed an increase in colds, sore throats, and (my favorite) allergies - and we are grateful that everyone is remaining cautious.
- And now, a cute story to go into the weekend. Our library is about the love of reading and books - of all types. Faced with a number of older books that were going to be pulled from circulation, our students instead decided to add to the menagerie that is our library. We give you a prickle of hedgehogs!
Enjoy the whimsy and laughter that middle school brings. Have a great weekend. Be safe, stay well, and take care of each other.
School News & Information
If you have any questions, concerns, or dietary restrictions please contact Austin Jacobs.
RMS does offer a lunch program for families who may need assistance or special needs. Please contact Robin Morley-Ploof in the office for more information.
Girl Scout Fundraiser Car Wash on May 7th 11am-2pm. at Hanover High School to raise money for upcoming trip to Washington DC
From Student Council
Ping Pong Tournament on Saturday May 14th. More information to come next week.
Links to parent resources aimed specifically at Middle School aged students.
Health/Mental Health Resources: As many of you know, May is Mental Health Awareness month. We are offering a handful of mental health trainings during the month of May and one of those trainings is a community Youth Mental Health First Aid Training. We have a virtual course scheduled for May 24th from 9 am to 2:30 pm (with 2 hours of self-paced work to be completed prior to the course). Please find more information on the flyer attached and the registration link. Please note this course is limited to 30 people and we anticipate registration filling up quickly. We will place others on a waitlist to be notified of another course when scheduled.
Mitigating Risk through community
Join in a Dartmouth Health forum to discuss our most recent Youth Risk Behavior Survey - Full information.
Information from Parent Roundtable on Device and Internet Usage
Link to summary of meeting.
SUMMER CAMPS: Please see our community resources page for more information on many camps and opportunities. https://www.frms.org/resources/community-interest
When Worry Shows Up
How Parents Can Help Children During Uncertain Times. The presentation by Lynn Lyons explains how anxiety works in young children and how to address anxieties in your own children. There was also information about making sure your child is getting what they need for their mental health. Thanks to Shawn Gonyaw at MCS, Here is the recording of that presentation.
Family Programs offered by Outright Vermont
Outright Vermont (https://www.outrightvt.org/) is an organization that supports LGBTQ+ youth and families around Vermont and neighboring areas. They offer a support group for families: Trans Parent Group - Online - First Monday of every month 6-8pm. Support group for parents and caregivers of trans, nonbinary, and gender expansive youth. Email email@example.com for more information and links.
How to talk to your student about gender
RMS is committed to building an inclusive school environment, and beginning discussions around identity for all students. The following article can help you join those discussions with your student. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxjmcJln7VwrMGc3ZWNnbnEtVjFxZ0oxc1p3LVBYN0pnNE1B/view?usp=sharing
RMS Health Office Updates
Prescription Medications Does your child need to take a prescription medication during school hours? Students must keep all prescription medications in the health office and have a signed medication form as well. The medication form and additional information can be found here: Health Office Website
PTO Bulletin Board
There are several end-of-year volunteer opportunities and we hope you can help. If you are already background checked and vetted as a volunteer for SAU70, please reach out to Tracey at firstname.lastname@example.org to find a volunteer opportunity that fits your schedule and interests. If you have submitted an application to volunteer but have not yet been cleared, please also reach out to Tracey at the above email so progress on your application can be tracked.
Please help the PTO add additional events to the 8th grade calendar! We are at this point begging those who have not yet donated to the cause to please do so. We want to do everything we can to make the 8th graders feel celebrated for being so resilient and amazing!!! Donations can be made via PayPal at https://paypal.me/FRMSPTO?locale.x=en_US or by a check sent to Richmond Middle School PTO, 63 Lyme Rd, Hanover NH 03755. Indicate "End of Year Activities" in the comments or check memo. Any leftover funds will be rolled into the PTO’s general fund. Thank you!
There's only one more RMS PTO meeting this school year. Via Zoom on Monday, May 16, 2022 at 6:30pm. We hope to see you there! Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6514826638
Please take a moment to visit and "like" the PTO on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/RMSPTOFB.